Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Power of Semantics

Yet another year has passed.  It was a year of changes and a year of firsts for me.  I ran my first half marathon, competed in my first local CrossFit competition, and had to grow-up a little more than I wanted to a lot faster than I expected.  But all in all it was a pretty good year. 

What does it all mean?
So as 2011 came to an end 2012 began and I started seeing lots of posts about resolutions and goals.  I noticed as I read the posts that the friends using these different words could be grouped into two groups: CrossFitters (Goals) and Non-CrossFitters (Resolutions).

Goals vs. Resolutions
In my humble opinion goals and resolutions are the same thing.  It's all about the semantics and the power of the word.  When I set a goal I usually strive to achieve that goal, however, when I set resolutions I seem to fall by the wayside.  For me goals are more obtainable and more concrete.  Goals are the small steps, whereas, in most cases (for myself) resolutions are the ultimate goal.  So this year like last year I am setting goals instead of making resolutions, but unlike last year I am setting month to month goals in order to stay focused.

My Goals:
1. To improve my kip in order to do pull-ups more consistently in workouts.
2. To clean up my diet as best possible.
3. To improve my hydration practices, drinking at least 32 oz. of water a day.

Accountability
Hopefully, I will be able to obtain these goals by February.  My big goal is to consistently post about my life this year.  I started out so well last year but then fell of the wagon, so I'm going to try at least 4 posts per month.  I'm hoping posting all of this will increase the level of accountability I feel and will help me obtain my goals. 
Accountability is important so if you have goals or resolutions share them with someone who will help you obtain them and keep you on your path.  Good luck in the New Year:)

No comments:

Post a Comment